Saturday, October 24, 2009

Umbrellas Aren't Just For Rain Anymore : )

When I was growing up we always kept an umbrella in the car and we had a pretty little can inside which housed an assortment of umbrellas. My mom always had a big beautiful one, and then we had an array of smaller ones as well. They were used for the rain. Umbrella = rain.

Or so I thought.

When we moved to California last summer we soon noticed that umbrellas do NOT equal rain. People used them all of the time for the SUN! I couldn't believe it. We would smile in amusement whenever we saw someone carrying an umbrella over their heads without their being any chance of rain.

But now I realize that it makes sense.

My 2 girls requested umbrellas last year for Christmas and they now own a Lightning McQueen umbrella and an Ariel umbrella - small little ones exactly the size for them. They have used them on the couple of days we've had rain but now, almost everytime we go on a walk, the kids go and grab their umbrellas and carry them over their head to keep the sun away. I borrowed one of theirs yesterday to put over Ethan's and my head and wow! It was so nice.

So, now the tourists can laugh at me. But it really works : )

No comments: