Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Passover and Easter and Family Traditions

Now that my oldest is 5, I'm really starting to think about traditions and why we celebrate what we celebrate. I had a lot of traditions growing up, my husband had next to none. So, it makes me really think about what I want to do with my kids; they are at the age where they will remember what went on during the holidays.

Thinking about this past weekend of Easter was interesting. Easter is a holiday that is traditionally celebrated by the church as the day of Jesus' resurrection. Many "church people" are offended that Americans celebrate it as a bunny day, easter egg hunt day, etc. However, a couple of hundred years ago, the Puritans didn't celebrate Easter at all - it was determined that it was a pagan holiday. Because that's what it was originally. Christians in other countries were actually killed if they celebrated the Passover and they were ordered to celebrate Easter instead.



I didn't celebrate the Jewish holidays when I was a child and I don't plan to celebrate them all now; however, the Passover is a very amazing holiday. If one can truly understand the culture and holidays and traditions of the people of Jesus' life, it is AMAZING how much more clearly it is to see that Jesus is the Messiah.

I don't think there is any point to dressing up in fancy clothes, going to church, and having an easter egg hunt. We didn't even go to church this year for Easter though we did make resurrection cookies and have friends over for a good meal. I want our traditions to be centered around fun and friends and family and relationships.

Jesus' death and resurrection completely restored our relationship with our Father God and provided a way for us to be a friend with Him once again. For this reason, I want to start celebrating Passover. Small, large, with friends, with just the family at home - I'm not going to be a stickler about tradition, but I do want to celebrate Jesus, my Passover Lamb. And if we end up doing an easter egg hunt every so often, and eating ham and potato salad on Easter, so be it.

In regards to the Passover, I'm just going to mention a few incredible things about the crucifixion of Jesus and the Passover Lamb. This is from Chuck Pierce and Robert Heidler.

1. The Passover Lamb had to be selected on the 10th day of the 1st month. During Jesus' time, the Passover lambs were born in Bethlehem and led to Jerusalem by the Mount of Olives and through the sheep gate. Jesus was born in Bethlehem, went to the Mount of Olives, and entered Jerusalem through the sheep gate on the 10th day of the 1st month.
The people chose Jesus as the Messiah and Passover Lamb as they waved palm branches and shouted "Blessed is He that comes in the name of the LORD! Save us, Son of David!"

2. The Lamb had to be examined. Only an umblemished, spotless, perfect lamb was chosen for the Passover. While Jesus was in Jerusalem, He was thoroughly examined - He was asked many trying questions by teachers of the Law. They tried over and over to trap Him but they admittedly could find no fault, no blemish in Him.

3. During Passover the people had to cast all the leaven out of their house. The leaven represented impurity. When Jesus was in Jerusalem, He purged the house of God completely of the moneychangers. He cleaned out His Father's house.

4. The Passover Lamb was taken to the altar for public display. This occurred on the 14th day of the 1st month. Everyone saw the lamb on the altar. Jesus was nailed to the cross and lifted for everyone to see of the 14th day of the 1st month.

5. The Lamb was killed at 3 p.m. every Passover. One priest blew a shofar at the temple, another priest killed the lamb and said, "It is finished!" Jesus was on the cross on the day of Passover and at 3 p.m. He cried out, "It is finished!" and gave up His Spirit. That phrase, "It is finished," means, "The debt has been paid in full."

Thank You, Jesus, for being My Passover Lamb and restoring me to fellowship with my Father and Creator. I love You.


Thanks to www.pdphoto.org for the image. :)



No comments: